See more photos and palettes in this style
Heirloom Red 1010-3
, Ultra White 7006-24
, Lincoln Cottage Black 4009-2
Select a different palette
For this look we recommend:
- Paint + Primer
- With Ti3 Crosslinking Technology™
- Our highest-quality exterior paint has exceptional durability
- Creates an impervious bond with the surface
- Hi-DEF® Advanced Color for ultimate hide
- Maximum fade resistance
- Gives a mold-, mildew- and algae-resistant finish
- Flexible —won't crack or peel
- Bridges hairline cracks
- Early resistance to moisture and light mist
- Application at temperature as low as 35 °F
- 100% acrylic latex
- Low odor, low VOC
- Lifetime warranty
Casual and informal, these homes were built post war and reflect booming growth and development in the U.S. From ranch and split-level to Craftsman, Cape Cod and cottage styles, these homes might feature a large, covered front porch, steep rooflines, dormer windows or gabled wings. They're typically faced with horizontal siding, masonry or stucco.
This architectural style is ideally suited to nature-based color families. Make the most of your palette by incorporating your landscaping into the color scheme. Consider seasonal blooms, ornamental ground color and mulch for additional color and texture. Large green and purple hydrangeas complement blue and gray house colors, adding a welcoming feel. Vibrant pink and purple flowers can tie in with a surprising, unexpected accent color.
Colors in this palette are drawn from nature: warm earthy browns, glowing umbers and rich siennas, plus cool taupes and watery gray-blues. The welcoming sense of Americana provides a casual, approachable presence.
Exterior Color Tips
- No matter the architectural style of your home, don't
forget to consider the fixed features and surrounding environment. Elements that won't be painted —such as your landscaping, roof, stone or masonry, and windows —are just as important as the portions you paint. Neutral elements carry less weight in your color decisions; colored features play a more important role.
- An easy way to enhance curb appeal and create
a signature statement is changing your door color. Paint it a contrasting color that complements the house color, or use the trim color. Door frames can be painted the same color as the house, or use the trim color. Consider a darker shade of the trim color for sunken panels and a medium shade for the stiles (the vertical struts on paneled doors).
- Play down your windows and other features by using the house color; draw attention by selecting a high-contrast hue. Shutters and window boxes provide a vehicle to add an extra punch of color —use the same color as your front door or select complementary colors.
- Treads on wooden steps usually carry the porch color, while risers can be painted the color of the house trim.
- Flowering shrubs and perennials, plus mulch, can play a colorful and textural role.